Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Glossary Of Business Jargon.


We all use them... Everyday we are exposed to a wide array of business-speak, from overheard cellphone conversations to board room strategy meetings. Considering how casually these words are used and how expansive their definitions have become, I thought that it may be helpful to provide the reader with a glossary to what these terms really mean...
 

Doing a "Deep Dive" - This simply means an analysis.

"Ping you" - Means I will contact you and I don't know how. It may be text, email, phone, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Carrier Pigeon. However it is, like Daniel Day Lewis in "The Last of the Mohicans," I will find you! 

"Synergy" - means what we have in common, but what it really means is that I want you to work for me. 

"Verticals / Vertical Market" - This is a fancy way of saying market. 

"Let's grab coffee" - Means "let's get this over with quickly." It could also mean, "I don't want to sit through lunch with you." Although there is a chance that it could actually mean, "let's grab coffee."

"That being said" - means "I'm about to contradict myself." Try substituting, "However".

"I'll think about it" and "let's follow up next week" are two different versions of "no."

"All day long" means "yes."

"Honestly..." Means " I am about to lie" or that everything that was said up to that point was a lie and now I am about to tell the truth. It's up to you to decide. 

"The bottom line" or "At the end of the day" are two indicators that I am about to finally get to the point. 

"An off-site" means "I am golfing." This can also be substituted for "client meeting," especially on Friday afternoons. 

"With all due respect" means that I am about to insult you, respectfully. 

"On-boarding" is the verbification of the adjective "on board" and it simply means to bring in a new client. 

What other terms have you heard?

4 comments:

  1. It's not exactly business jargon, but an "Otherie" - that's a kind of reverse selfie - everyone else is in the shot, except you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and can someone please explain to me the term "managing your expectations"? (When it was said to me over the phone by some telecoms worker when I queried a bill, I burst out laughing and said "Hang on, let me grab a pen, I want to write that one down"Z|.... and when I asked her to define what it was exactly she declined....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that one all of the time. I would define it as "I not so secretly want to control you."

      Delete